Saturday, December 11, 2010

Had a conversation in the library with a friend named Darryl who…frequently sees things from a different perspective than I do.

We were talking about dating relationships, because Darryl has a rather pessimistic outlook on life and relationships and many things happy. (He has just a bit of an argumentative streak, too…meaning most of our conversations would look like arguments to the average observer).

I don’t remember how it came up, but I told him at one point in the conversation that I hoped he married someone who was super sweet and would never argue with him. His face registered shock, and then deep dismay.

“Who’d wanna marry someone they couldn’t fight with?!” he protested. “That would be BORING.”

“I think it’d be good for your character,” I said absent-mindedly, not really watching his face.

“Fine!” he fumed, "I hope that you marry someone who will never fight with YOU either, then!”

“I hope so too!” I said, laughing.

Darryl was seriously put out by this point.

“Gosh!” he spluttered, “that’s the most selfish thing I’ve ever heard IN. MY. LIFE.” And with that he picked up his book bag and stormed out of the library…

I was laughing too hard to really notice where he went…

No comments: